Demosthenes X
Apr 12, 09:01 AM
Sounds plausible. I don't know what else Apple can add to its existing iPod line besides small improvements... a few of their recent "revolutions" (buttonless Shuffle, touch-screen nano) have actually been steps backward, imo.
Dunepilot
Jul 28, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=rekahs]surely if you look at it that way the ipod is in the position the 360 is in and the zune is like the wii.
QUOTE]
Except that the wii is being marketed on the basis that it will bring something innovative to the table. If there's one thing Microsoft doesn't understand, its innovation/ease of use/elegance.
QUOTE]
Except that the wii is being marketed on the basis that it will bring something innovative to the table. If there's one thing Microsoft doesn't understand, its innovation/ease of use/elegance.
twoodcc
Nov 27, 03:49 PM
You may need to set the unit size in config to "big", it wont take bigadv units if it is set to normal.
yeah i forgot about that. you're right
yeah i forgot about that. you're right
Dbrown
Apr 30, 09:02 PM
Well if it's a platform war, Android is getting seriously spanked by iOS. The iOS platform is holding its own in smartphones and still growing in market share and in dedicated media players, portable media players, and tablets, it isn't even a contest. The iPad, Apple TV, iPod Touch and all the rest of the products on the iOS platform are seriously spanking the crap out of the Android alternatives.
That's one of the reasons why the big developers concentrate more on the iOS platform than Android.
Now did that register or are you just in denial?
The only people who lump in tablets and PMPs into the platform are apple lovers who are in denial. Everyone else separates them by device. Smartphones are compared to smartphones. Tablets to tablets, etc.
That's one of the reasons why the big developers concentrate more on the iOS platform than Android.
Now did that register or are you just in denial?
The only people who lump in tablets and PMPs into the platform are apple lovers who are in denial. Everyone else separates them by device. Smartphones are compared to smartphones. Tablets to tablets, etc.
more...
jessica.
Feb 1, 08:03 AM
What a team player.
300 people sitting on their hands, while he 'plays'.
Charming.
Oddly, I agree with you.
I'm not sure I'd see this guy as my idol, not even a little.
Sure, maybe one night where you just get some sort of pass but do you really watch a dirty bitch with **** up your nose and a car you're too wasted to drive?
300 people sitting on their hands, while he 'plays'.
Charming.
Oddly, I agree with you.
I'm not sure I'd see this guy as my idol, not even a little.
Sure, maybe one night where you just get some sort of pass but do you really watch a dirty bitch with **** up your nose and a car you're too wasted to drive?
ezekielrage_99
Jul 24, 11:49 PM
So, in conclusion - get the S530 instead!
http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/12135.jpg.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=11420
http://www.cancomuk.com/products/searchresults.lasso?code=58886
I got one of those a few weeks ago and it rocks, Apple keyboard and mouses just don't compete.
http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/12135.jpg.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=11420
http://www.cancomuk.com/products/searchresults.lasso?code=58886
I got one of those a few weeks ago and it rocks, Apple keyboard and mouses just don't compete.
more...

Dan--
Apr 29, 04:04 PM
I haven't bought a single song from Amazon, not because I'm against them (I luv my Prime membership), but because they only sell MP3's that simply don't sound as good as an AAC file at an equivalent bit rate. Dropping the price to 69 cents doesn't improve the quality of the product and that's not good enough for me.
Amazon sells mostly LAME encoded 256kbs mp3 files, which are pretty comparable to the AAC files ITMS sells. AAC may have a slight advantage (for example see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/271330/256-vbr-aac-vs-320-mp3-vs-256-vbr-mp3#post_3459768), but not much.
Viva la FLAC! Viva la Apple Lossless!
Si!
When are they gonna start selling lossless??
Amazon sells mostly LAME encoded 256kbs mp3 files, which are pretty comparable to the AAC files ITMS sells. AAC may have a slight advantage (for example see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/271330/256-vbr-aac-vs-320-mp3-vs-256-vbr-mp3#post_3459768), but not much.
Viva la FLAC! Viva la Apple Lossless!
Si!
When are they gonna start selling lossless??
SchneiderMan
Sep 15, 08:40 PM
Deathstars...
I wouldn't buy Hitatchi, buy hey, it's as you wish...
No HDD brand is fail proof.
I wouldn't buy Hitatchi, buy hey, it's as you wish...
No HDD brand is fail proof.
more...
notabadname
Apr 28, 11:06 AM
So the iPhone went from being pummeled by Android to now just being badly beaten.
That is Awesome.
Ha, ha . . . As if I should be embarrassed about losing a bar fight against 20 people.
Name any single Android phone model that has out-sold the iPhone 4.
That is Awesome.
Ha, ha . . . As if I should be embarrassed about losing a bar fight against 20 people.
Name any single Android phone model that has out-sold the iPhone 4.
MadeTheSwitch
Apr 22, 12:08 PM
So then the question becomes, if not LTE why the delay?
Some have said a new version of iOS. But why would a phone have to wait for that? You would just upgrade later like we all did with iOS4. So there has to be some other reason. But what? New size of screen, like the edge to edge thing talked about? The rumor mill keeps saying that the design won't be much different then the iPhone 4, so if true, and there is no LTE. Then why the delay? It's not because of Japan, because these rumors were floating about before all that.
It's kind of madding because I am in the market for a new phone now and fall is an awfully long time to wait. If another year is added on top of that for LTE, well...wow. That could work out to a year and a half from now for an LTE iPhone, unless they release something in another unusual timeframe...like say Feb. or March. But I don't see that happening. That's a really LONG time to wait for something in the fast moving world of phones and electronics.
Some have said a new version of iOS. But why would a phone have to wait for that? You would just upgrade later like we all did with iOS4. So there has to be some other reason. But what? New size of screen, like the edge to edge thing talked about? The rumor mill keeps saying that the design won't be much different then the iPhone 4, so if true, and there is no LTE. Then why the delay? It's not because of Japan, because these rumors were floating about before all that.
It's kind of madding because I am in the market for a new phone now and fall is an awfully long time to wait. If another year is added on top of that for LTE, well...wow. That could work out to a year and a half from now for an LTE iPhone, unless they release something in another unusual timeframe...like say Feb. or March. But I don't see that happening. That's a really LONG time to wait for something in the fast moving world of phones and electronics.
more...
VirtualRain
Apr 7, 01:00 PM
http://chrismccormack.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v25/p17348835-4.jpg
peapody
Feb 1, 09:47 PM
these "Post your last purchase" threads are addicting. Interesting to see what people are out buying. :D
Bought a used cyclocross bike yesterday. Any bikers here?
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/redline.jpg
Nice bike. How much did it run you?
There is a whole lot of members here who bike...
Picture of Your Bike thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=218370&page=32)
Bought a used cyclocross bike yesterday. Any bikers here?
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/redline.jpg
Nice bike. How much did it run you?
There is a whole lot of members here who bike...
Picture of Your Bike thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=218370&page=32)
more...
Kwill
Apr 22, 11:03 AM
...current generation of LTE chips forced design compromises that the company has been unwilling to make.
Translation: Apple's new iPhone, code named Anorexia, couldn't possibly hold 2 chips! We aim to make a phone so thin, a postage stamp would add bulk.
Translation: Apple's new iPhone, code named Anorexia, couldn't possibly hold 2 chips! We aim to make a phone so thin, a postage stamp would add bulk.
BRLawyer
Apr 11, 01:57 PM
Probably not to far off. what will be funny is all the people who bought a 2011 mbp, I am guessing probably will not choose to pay premium for the drive and will upgrade their laptop prior to buying affordable TB drive for thier machine.
I hope I am wrong, But I think 500 might not be to far off from actual price.
This is NOT the case with FW 800 today - not to mention that USB 3.0 peripherals are still far from being mainstream...:rolleyes:
I hope I am wrong, But I think 500 might not be to far off from actual price.
This is NOT the case with FW 800 today - not to mention that USB 3.0 peripherals are still far from being mainstream...:rolleyes:
more...

mikeschmeee
Apr 3, 10:17 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5060/5583931533_b22da386c1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeschmeee/5583931533/)
I purchased some new parts for my car :)
I purchased some new parts for my car :)
IJ Reilly
Jan 29, 05:01 PM
I'm not a big fan of technical analysis, since it tends to ignore everything but share price over time. In my experience technical analysts are wrong as often as they are right.
more...
SirROM
Jul 25, 12:54 AM
I like your idea and I think it would work in many situations if there is indeed going to be a "transition phase" toward a new type of connection format. However, I'll stick by my prediction as it offers the maximum benefit for Apple and its third party partners while keeping the whole user interaction simpler and more elegant. The Nike situation is different in the respect that it is really the only way to make a product like that work–can't have a bunch of wires getting in the way of running. I know the iPod Hi-Fi probably isn't selling well enough for Apple to worry that a new connection format would hurt their own profit margin much, but there are a LOT of third party partners out there that have only recently given it their best because Apple has probably assured them that the dock connector will be around for quite some time, so third party R&D won't be a black hole or recurring expense in that area. It is what has helped the accessory market evolve to the point it has, which has benefitted Apple immensly-don't think Apple doesn't realize that fact! It is also what is missing from the also-ran MP3 manufacturers: not enough consistency to make it worth their investment to produce for those products.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Of course, it COULD have both....
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Of course, it COULD have both....
ECUpirate44
Apr 13, 02:52 PM
Great. A 4K magical TV.
iApples
May 1, 11:35 PM
I guess Osama Bin Ladin's iPhone tipped Pres. Obama off.
I heard he didn't disable the location service on his newly purchased Tweetbot app. That damn Twitter will get you every time.
I heard he didn't disable the location service on his newly purchased Tweetbot app. That damn Twitter will get you every time.
zenvision
Oct 24, 09:33 AM
I do not have a practical answer for you, but I had a similar question when I was upgrading the HD in my powerbook - I wanted the fastest drive I could afford as this would give my PB the biggest performance boost. What I found out is that the 160GB 5400 perpendicular drives have about 90-95% the performance throughput of a non-perpendicular 7200 drive. The reason being that because the bit are perpendicular, the drive needs to rotate a shorter amount to read the same amount of data. I know at the microscopic size of the data on the drives this seems hard to believe, but logically, it makes sense to me. My PB is a screamer by comparison to the 4200 drive that was in there, which has not bearing to your question of course...
I suspect, that the 5400 160GB drive from Apple will have decent performance. Personally, I'm not impressed with the 4200 200GB offering, but for someone who needs more space and ultimate performance is not key, then this would be fine.
That all being said, I look forward to finding out the specs & models of the actual drives Apple is putting in the new MBP's before I'd put money down on one.
Cheers!
thanks for the info! sounds like the 5400 160gb drive is the one for me... :)
I suspect, that the 5400 160GB drive from Apple will have decent performance. Personally, I'm not impressed with the 4200 200GB offering, but for someone who needs more space and ultimate performance is not key, then this would be fine.
That all being said, I look forward to finding out the specs & models of the actual drives Apple is putting in the new MBP's before I'd put money down on one.
Cheers!
thanks for the info! sounds like the 5400 160gb drive is the one for me... :)
gkarris
Apr 13, 03:43 PM
Great. A 4K magical TV.
Actually...
http://themacswitch.net/2011/03/25/will-people-start-lining-up-for-macs/
http://themacswitch.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/iPad_line.jpg
Actually...
http://themacswitch.net/2011/03/25/will-people-start-lining-up-for-macs/
http://themacswitch.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/iPad_line.jpg
Chas2010
Apr 14, 04:27 PM
That animation crap only started with 4.3. The previous releases were all fine.
Message deleted by author; no value added to thread by comment.
Message deleted by author; no value added to thread by comment.
kallisti
Apr 9, 06:23 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5064/5602375649_c5c0d36f4c_b.jpg
Old print I just rediscovered. Forgive the dust--it seems to have become a permanent part of the only print I have. Negatives lost in a prior move.
Left half of the shot is from a kitchen window. The right half is the reflection on the fridge.
Old print I just rediscovered. Forgive the dust--it seems to have become a permanent part of the only print I have. Negatives lost in a prior move.
Left half of the shot is from a kitchen window. The right half is the reflection on the fridge.
iEvolution
Apr 22, 01:33 PM
What has apple done that is unethical?
I consider lack of hardware recalls unethical. They always try to hoard as much money as they can.
A few examples are:
1-2007 iPod Touch inverted black issue that was a HARDWARE related problem with the coating on it. Apple just released a firmware update to cover the problem by changing the gamma settings.
2-iPhone antenna issue, cheap 50 cent bumpers to cover the problem because they think everyone should just be a lab rat for them. Then their attitude that it wasn't a issue until the media exploded all over it. Then they act like children and release all those youtube videos of antenna problems with a bunch of other phones like its acceptable.
3-2007 Classic/Nano, when initially released these were the biggest pieces of crap, it was like no one even bothered to turn them on before they released it and it wasn't until 6 months later that the classic was updated enough to work decent. Some issues were:
a) unable to retain ratings if you played any games
b) extremely slow navigation (esp the classic)
c) reboot loops for some
d) coverflow as useless on the classic (though I never used it anyway)
This was actually the 1st iPod I had to take back because it was so nonfunctional, from this point on it seems quality control has taken a backseat.
iTunes 7 was ridiculous when syncing any of the 2007 devices it would randomly freeze for 2-3 seconds when you tried to transfer files and it would take forever to get them to sync because of this. Took apple 2 months to even fix it.
4-The App pack update they charged iPod touch users $20 for then barely a month later they released a update and charged $10 for it and it already included the $20 app... so essentially the early adapters paid $30 in the end.
5-Their discussion boards are heavily modded and anything negative about their products that they don't like they remove it for no reason. In otherwords, they refuse to look at the criticism with a open mind and instead try to cover it.
6-The iLounge 3rd gen shuffle review had a not recommended rating on their site and as a response apple denied them access to the next event. They are giant manipulators when it comes to 3rd party reviews of their products.
7-While I can't say if it is a music industry issue or apple trying to nickle and dime people, but I thought it was ridiculous that they were charging 30 cents to get DRM files for the early adapters like myself (I had well over 700 songs in DRM format). Essentially making people pay $1.30 for each song while if someone new came to iTunes they could get the song for $1 still. (At the beginning iTunes was still a flat $1 charge).
8-Apple has had SEVERAL display problems (the 27" iMac displays) over the years, once again they attempt to fix these issues with "firmware" updates.
It seems since around 2007 apple has just dropped the ball ethically, since they are on top in several markets they seem to have cared about nothing but getting as much money out of consumers as possible.
Sorry but that is how I view it. I think they make some amazing hardware and I own several iPods and I love every single one of them but I think Apple as a company is pretty shoddy.
I consider lack of hardware recalls unethical. They always try to hoard as much money as they can.
A few examples are:
1-2007 iPod Touch inverted black issue that was a HARDWARE related problem with the coating on it. Apple just released a firmware update to cover the problem by changing the gamma settings.
2-iPhone antenna issue, cheap 50 cent bumpers to cover the problem because they think everyone should just be a lab rat for them. Then their attitude that it wasn't a issue until the media exploded all over it. Then they act like children and release all those youtube videos of antenna problems with a bunch of other phones like its acceptable.
3-2007 Classic/Nano, when initially released these were the biggest pieces of crap, it was like no one even bothered to turn them on before they released it and it wasn't until 6 months later that the classic was updated enough to work decent. Some issues were:
a) unable to retain ratings if you played any games
b) extremely slow navigation (esp the classic)
c) reboot loops for some
d) coverflow as useless on the classic (though I never used it anyway)
This was actually the 1st iPod I had to take back because it was so nonfunctional, from this point on it seems quality control has taken a backseat.
iTunes 7 was ridiculous when syncing any of the 2007 devices it would randomly freeze for 2-3 seconds when you tried to transfer files and it would take forever to get them to sync because of this. Took apple 2 months to even fix it.
4-The App pack update they charged iPod touch users $20 for then barely a month later they released a update and charged $10 for it and it already included the $20 app... so essentially the early adapters paid $30 in the end.
5-Their discussion boards are heavily modded and anything negative about their products that they don't like they remove it for no reason. In otherwords, they refuse to look at the criticism with a open mind and instead try to cover it.
6-The iLounge 3rd gen shuffle review had a not recommended rating on their site and as a response apple denied them access to the next event. They are giant manipulators when it comes to 3rd party reviews of their products.
7-While I can't say if it is a music industry issue or apple trying to nickle and dime people, but I thought it was ridiculous that they were charging 30 cents to get DRM files for the early adapters like myself (I had well over 700 songs in DRM format). Essentially making people pay $1.30 for each song while if someone new came to iTunes they could get the song for $1 still. (At the beginning iTunes was still a flat $1 charge).
8-Apple has had SEVERAL display problems (the 27" iMac displays) over the years, once again they attempt to fix these issues with "firmware" updates.
It seems since around 2007 apple has just dropped the ball ethically, since they are on top in several markets they seem to have cared about nothing but getting as much money out of consumers as possible.
Sorry but that is how I view it. I think they make some amazing hardware and I own several iPods and I love every single one of them but I think Apple as a company is pretty shoddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment